Daffodils are poisonous to both cats and dogs.  Symptoms are generally mild to moderate and include:

  • Drooling
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Increased heart rate
  • Abdominal pain
  • Abnormal breathing
  • Cardiac arrhythmias

These flowers contain lycorine, an alkaloid with strong emetic properties (something that triggers vomiting). Crystals are found in the outer layer of the bulbs, similar to hyacinths, which cause severe tissue irritation and secondary drooling. Ingestion of the bulb, plant or flower can cause severe vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and even possible cardiac arrhythmias or respiratory depression. Daffodil ingestion can result in more severe symptoms so if an exposure is witnessed or symptoms are seen, we recommend seeking veterinary care for further supportive care.

If you suspect your pet has ingested daffodils (particularly the bulbs), contact your veterinarian for treatment recommendations.